Driving under the influence is a serious charge, and a conviction can have life-altering consequences. An experienced Colorado Springs DUI attorney from Patterson Weaver Law, LLC can examine your case and identify all possible defenses. Our trusted legal team has helped many people across Colorado get DUI charges reduced or even dismissed altogether. We will fight for the best possible outcome in your case.
Contact us today for a free and confidential consultation with a trusted DUI criminal defense attorney. Our team is available 24/7. We represent clients facing first DUI, second DUI, third DUI, and DWAI charges throughout El Paso County, Teller County, Pueblo County, Park County, Fremont County, and the nearby areas.
Is It Worth Getting a Lawyer for a DUI?
While it is true that you have the right to defend yourself in criminal court, there is also some truth to the old adage that “A man who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client.”
The reason people hire DUI attorneys to defend them from a drunk driving charge is the same reason they see a doctor when they are sick, hire an architect to design their house, or speak with an accountant about their taxes. Professionals have specialized training and experience that the average person simply does not possess.
Neither the police officer who arrested you nor the prosecutor in charge of your case is there to help you. They are not your friends. They are not looking to cut you the best plea deal possible. They just want you to plead guilty.
For these reasons, you should at least speak with a Colorado Springs DUI attorney to go over the facts of your case. At Patterson Weaver Law, LLC, we offer free initial consultations. Bring the police report and any other documentation relating to your arrest with you to the consultation. Write down a list of questions you would like to ask. That will help you make the most of your time. A face-to-face meeting is also a good way for you to gauge whether our law firm would be a good fit for you.
To schedule your free initial consultation, contact our DUI law firm today. We have everything you need to help you get through your legal matter.
What Does a DUI Attorney Do?
Your attorney is your professional representative who assists you in all phases of your case:
- At the DMV hearing, your lawyer will question witnesses and make arguments to the hearing officer.
- At the discovery stage, your attorney will review all of the evidence the state has against you, such as police reports, witness statements, dash cam or body cam footage, etc. This will help your lawyer identify possible defenses and evaluate the strength of the case against you.
- At each court appearance, your attorney will negotiate with the prosecutor and communicate with the judge on your behalf.
- At trial (if necessary), your criminal defense lawyer will cross-examine witnesses, present your defense, and everything in-between.
Potential Defenses for DUI
Any experienced criminal defense attorney, especially one who focuses on DUI charges, should be able to look at the circumstances of your case and identify potential defenses or weaknesses in the case against you. Some common examples include:
- The police administered a field sobriety test incorrectly or misread the signs of intoxication.
- A blood test or breath test was taken over 2 hours after your arrest.
- The arresting officer failed to explain the consequences of a refusal.
- The sheriff’s deputy did not have sufficient probable cause to pull you over in the first place.
All of these issues are relevant to your defense and can be used in negotiations with the prosecutor to get a more favorable plea offer.